Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Trees

Trees
***

Sunday night

Dinner with family and laundry collection

Why is dad asleep by five pm?

“Your father is depressed” my mother barks.

Why does my mother look so defeated? Where has her upper lip gone ? Tell gravity to stop tugging on her brilliant skin.

“You’re too critical,” she informs me.

Why is the dog so fat that she looks like a beach ball?

“Your father is depressed,” she replies.

What is my mother doing in my childhood bedroom surrounded by empty bud light bottles?

“It’s a grand room” she reveals. “I can hear the birds and see the trees from the window.”

"I like trees."

"I think you like Bud light better. "

“You’re too critical,” she informs me.

I glance out the window.

She is right

The trees are quite nice.
I must have enjoyed this room in childhood

No comments: